Jeanette Henderson Scholarship Program
Jeanette Henderson, a former Albany Housing Authority employee, was inspired to create a fund to provide college scholarships to students living in public housing.
What is the Jeanette Henderson Scholarship?
The Jeanette Henderson Scholarship is designed to provide the opportunity for youth and adults who are residents of Albany Housing Authority to attend college and make a positive difference in the lives of their families. The scholarship is to help cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies, and other related expenses
What scholarships are available for the 2022-2023 academic year?
1. One $2,500 scholarship for traditional student
2. One $2,500 scholarship for non-traditional student
The Scholarship Committee will notify applicants of their status. Scholarship awards will be announced at the 3rd Annual Jeanette Henderson Scholarship Banquet on August 25, 2023.
Who can apply for the scholarships?
In order to be eligible for a Jeanette Henderson Scholarship, you must be a resident of Georgia and the Albany Housing Authority in good standing, who is a traditional or non-traditional student. A non-traditional student is defined as a resident age 18 and up who has graduated from high school or received a GED; however, delayed enrolling in college or technical school. You must meet the following criteria:
• Is or will be enrolled full or part-time in the fall for the 2022-23 academic year in an accredited and/or licensed technical school or accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States.
• Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
• Is in good standing with Albany Housing Authority (no lease violations).
• Must have earned high school diploma or GED.
• Have a family income of $20,000 or less
What is the deadline to apply?
Your completed application must be returned to Albany Housing Authority Office by email or in person on or before August 1, 2023. We encourage you to submit the application as soon as possible. Completed applications can be email to email@example.com or dropped off to Sharon Evans at 521 Pine Avenue, Albany, GA.
What is the process for applying?
1. Complete the application
2. Current, complete, unofficial high school transcripts or proof of GED certificate
3. Source and amount of other scholarship awards received or pending (if applicable).
4. One letter of reference (teacher, employer, minister, or anyone with significant knowledge of the applicant).
How will the award be distributed?
• The school attended by the winner will administer the scholarship award.
• Funds may be used for one year or longer if approved by the Scholarship Committee. Failure to continue the required course of study will cause the unused portion of the the funds to be reverted back to the Jeanette Henderson Scholarship Fund.